[EM] Some chance for consensus revisited: Most simple solution

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Feb 1 13:02:02 PST 2009

Dear folks,

I want to describe the most simple solution to the problem of how to
make sure option C is elected in the following situation:

   a%  having true utilities  A(100) > C(alpha) > B(0),
   b%  having true utilities  B(100) > C(beta)  > A(0).

with  a+b=100  and  a*alpha + b*beta > max(a,b)*100.
(The latter condition means C has the largest total utility.)

The ultimately most simple solution to this problem seems to be this method:

Simple Efficient Consensus (SEC):

1. Each voter casts two plurality-style ballots:
   A "consensus ballot" which she puts into the "consensus urn",
   and a "favourite ballot" put into the "favourites urn".

2. If all ballots in the "consensus urn" have the same option ticked,
   that option wins.

3. Otherwise, a ballot drawn at random from the "favourites urn"
   decides.

Please share your thoughts on this!

Yours, Jobst