[EM] STV and weighted positional methods

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sun Feb 1 13:12:39 PST 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> To clarify one last time,  I clearly said (first sentence in my email)
> that "I stand corrected" that am not against FAIR, EQUITABLE,
> MONOTONIC PR methods. I.e. a multiple at-large contest with one ranked
> or rated ballot as long as that ballot is counted in a fair,
> equitable, monotonic way (I.e. NOT by IRV/STV methods).

I think it's a fair characterization of proponents of PR/STV to say
that we would also favor fair, equitable and monotonic methods, but
that we've come to the conclusion that a) we can't have all three, and
b) if we have to give one of them up, we'll give up monotonic, and
that it's not a close decision.