[EM] Score DSV

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 14:09:01 PDT 2009

Good catch. Of course, this means that there must be more than 3 members of
the Smith set, as well as some other conditions (generally, of the voters
who consider A as neither worst nor best of the original Smith set, a larger
or "stronger" group must consider B as last than the group which considers B
as first; so this limits the number of voters who could see non-monotonic
results).

So you're right. Score DSV is only monotonic up to 3 (serious) candidates.
Make that 4 if you use the Dutta set (which cannot have 4 members) instead
of the Smith set. That is a better system generally except that it's more of
a pain to explain. Still, you've pointed to a clear advantage for Schulze.

So, how do you respond to the two things I see as clear advantages for Score
DSV over Schulze: the "defensive participation criterion" (*If a given
election chooses X, and new voters are added who prefer X over Y, then the
set of voters who prefer X over Y have some way of voting to make sure Y
does not win without reversing any preferences or falsely voting any
candidates equally.)* and the "ultra-strong defensive criterion"
(*non-dishonest
defensive strategies are always available to larger and/or more-motivated
groups (where motivation is counted relative to the Smith set) than the
corresponding offensive strategies*).