[EM] Explaining PR-STV

Jan Kok jan.kok.5y at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 07:30:46 PDT 2009

This is a very nice, clear explanation or PR-STV. I would suggest
mentioning that the quota is commonly set at greater than 1/(N+1)
times number of valid votes. Thus, with 5 seats and 600 votes, a
candidate who gets more than 100 votes is guaranteed a seat.

I'm not convinced that PR can lead to "instability." Isn't that more a
property of the parliamentary system? After all, in the US we can have
congress be at 50/50 Dems/Republicans, where just one defection can
swing control to the other side, yet our government doesn't seem all
that "unstable".

Cheers,
- Jan