[EM] British Colombia considering change to STV

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 29 11:07:51 PDT 2009

Data from 4 years ago indicated that 15% of the electorate was not reached by the pro-stv

reformist promoters. The conversion rate in favor of bc-stv was 33% but I do not know

if it was from people being against the reform or people having just no idea about the debate.

If we suppose that the better organized reform movement could reah 80% of those uninformed voters

and that the others do not change their opinions, the expected result obtained is:

(57,7% + 0,8 * 15% / 3) = 61,7% but it does not take in account the growth of the electorate

if more people express a preference than 4 years ago. With this taken in account:

(57,7% + 0,8 * 15% / (3*1,12) = 61,2%

With a 60% yes vote required, it seems a short win is the most probable result,

but we'll have to wait and see...

The numbers comes from private discussion I had with M. Blais that covered the assembly process

and followed the previous referendum. On another hand, D. Pilon, an political science professor who

lives in BC is not optimistic saying negative adds could lead to another less than 60% result.

I'll think I'll throw a party if they win...