[EM] Implementing Practical Democracy with Votorola

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Apr 3 07:15:29 PDT 2009

Good Morning, Michael

First, I want to thank you for the ...

   http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht
   (section 3, The Communicative Composition of Norms)

... link.  I went over it briefly online, then downloaded the text so I
could review it more carefully.  I couldn't get the diagrams, of course,
but they are available on-line when I need to refer to them.  Since
downloading, I've gone over it again, but need to study it more carefully.

I do have one question now, though.  Can you give me the rationale for
allowing voters to change their vote?  This is in no sense a criticism.
  I just don't understand why you think this is a wise option.  My own
initial reaction is to think it opens the process to manipulation,
particularly by media-induced hysteria.  It also tends to insulate one
from the consequences of ill-considered actions.  When a person makes a
choice, is it not better to let them learn the significance of their
choice so they are better prepared for the next election?

As you may have guessed, it will take me some time to digest the
material in the "The Communicative Composition of Norms".  I'll write
again, after I've had time to consider it.

Fred Gohlke