[EM] Geographical districts

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 10:09:31 PDT 2008

> Stéphane Rouillon > Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:27 PM
> Can't the municipal level respond to the preocupations of these
> "geographically defined communities" and the
> national/provincial/federal
> level answer to other considerations?

This reflects a delightfully detached view of politics and the political system.  The realities of the concerns of electors are
rather different in my experience.

I see from my original post (4/9/2008) that I was writing about:
"The physical geography of the real world (mountains, rivers, roads) and the social geography (travel to work patterns, traditional
administrative centres, major and minor shopping centres) are also important factors that should be taken into account in devising
electoral districts that "make sense" to local electors.  In many cases these physical and social features define the communities
(at various levels) to which the electors feel they belong."

In the Canadian context, I suspect the physical and topographical features define "communities" at all levels below federal, and I
suspect the others have effects at a variety of different scales, so that they contribute to the definition of "community" at the
municipal, national and provincial levels.

James

Checked by AVG.