[EM] Random and reproductible tie-breaks

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 30 07:14:04 PDT 2008

Hi again,

I believe Stephane has erred below where he wrote that Condorcet methods
ensure a clone independent resolution.  Perhaps his definitions of
Condorcet methods and/or clone independence and/or resolution differ
from what I believe are the standard definitions?

Condorcet methods are not necessarily independent of clone
alternatives.  Some Condorcet methods are vulnerable to clones even when
no pairings are ties or have equal majorities, for examples Minmax
(which elects the candidate whose largest pairwise opposition in his/her
pairwise "defeats" is smallest) and Copeland (which elects the candidate
with the smallest number of pairwise "defeats").  Other Condorcet
methods, for examples MAM and Beatpathwinner, are clone independent when
no tiebreaking is needed and for complete clone independence rely on a
tiebreaker that is also clone independent.

(Briefly going off on a tangent...  A simpler Minmax that is nearly
Condorcetian is the one that elects the candidate whose largest pairwise
opposition is smallest.  It doesn't strictly satisfy the Condorcet
criterion if votes may be weak orderings, but it's simpler than the
Minmax defined in the previous paragraph and has similar properties.)

It matters that the tiebreaker be clone independent when the probability
of a tie is not negligible--in other words when the number of voters is
small--because otherwise there could *routinely* be farces where
factions nominate a huge number of clones in order to win if there is a tie.

I agree with Stephane about the desirability of being able to produce
the same winner each time the votes are tallied.  From the standpoint of
electing the "best" alternative according to the votes, it doesn't
matter, since tied alternatives are equally good.  But it may be
important in many circumstances for the outcome to be stable with
respect to recounts and verification tallies.  It's a plus if every
voter can reach the actual outcome when s/he tallies the votes
independently.

I'm not sure what Stephane means when he says the tiebreaker should be
"equiprobable."  I see nothing unfair about randomly picking a ballot
and using it to break ties.  Yet it's possible that a majority of the
ballots rank one of the tied alternatives over the other, and in such a
case the two alternatives would not have an equal chance of being
selected by the random ballot tiebreaker.  Why be concerned?  According
to the votes the tied alternatives are equally good, so it doesn't
matter if one has an advantage in the tiebreaker.

Here's a reproducible way to "randomly" choose a tiebreaking ballot:
Keep track of when each vote is cast, and combine the tracked times to
make a seed to be used by a pseudorandom number generator. (My apologies
if this has already been proposed, or if a simpler/better technique has
already been proposed.)

I think Stephane's concern about influencing the chairperson is
overstated, since in the case of a tie every member is subject to influence.

Let's not forget how desirable it is that the tiebreaker (and voting
method) be fairly easy to understand by the voters.  That's more
important than some of the criteria being discussed.

Regards,
Steve