[EM] Random and reproductible tie-breaks

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 29 07:39:11 PDT 2008

I erred if I wrote it is ridiculous to nominate clones unless one can
predict before the election that a
tie will occur.

What I tough I wrote is : it is ridiculous to bother with an clone
independent tie-breaker if one considers a clone dependent electoral system.

Using a Condorcet method for example ensures a clone independent resolution,
thus different computers should always end up to the same winner despite
ties if they both use the same reproductible (but equiprobable or fair)
tie-breaker.

Although I have a lot of admiration for Forest and Jobst work, I cannot
accept the use of random non-reproductible ballot selection for tie-breakers
(or for winner designation even more) because it kills the validation of the
process. If the process of designation of the winner can be repeated ad
nauseam, fraud can be achieved only by corrupting the ballots database. It
then becomes a lot easier for electoral managers to ensure an honest result.

In the other case, anyone should be able to know in advance how the random
ballot is selected to thrust the electoral process. If it uses a definite
predictible and reproductible method, frauders will try to get several
favorable ballots as the tie-breaking numbered ballot.  If it uses a
non-reproductible method, frauders will try to taint that one time process.
Thus I favor unpredictible but reproductible (but still equiprobable)
tie-breakers as the one presented previously, which works for small groups
and without any opportunity to influence a chairperson. It is random only
because it uses the election data which nobody should know in advance.