[EM] Delegable proxy/cascade and killer apps

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 11:46:50 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm
<km-elmet at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Raph Frank wrote:
>
>> This needs to be formalised.  It could be as simple as an ebay
>> reputation system, or just allowing reputation to flow through the
>> proxy links.  If I vouch for someone and he doesn't come through, I
>> should take a reputation hit too (and also probably reduce my trust in
>> the person who vouched for him to me).
>
> If computers are permitted, then to keep sock puppets away and formalize
> trust networks, you might use a trust metric. When given direct trust (A
> trusts B to this extent), they extrapolate indirect trust (A trusts C
> because A trusts B and B trusts C). Some of the trust metrics also aim to be
> hard to manipulate, so that, for instance, if a user makes 1000 clones, all
> of these clones are bottlenecked through that user and so trust adjustments
> against the user affects all the clones as well.

Right and also he would lose trust when people see that he certified
1000 sock puppets as real people.

> Here's one example of a trust metric for P2P networks:
> http://www.stanford.edu/~sdkamvar/papers/eigentrust.pdf
>
> And here's another, that's claimed to be manipulation resistant:
> http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html

This is another for film ratings.  It gives each moving a score and is
resistant to random raters.

http://www.mathaware.org/mam/08/reputation.pdf