[EM] Delegable proxy/cascade and killer apps

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Sun Sep 14 01:49:47 PDT 2008

Raph Frank wrote:

> This needs to be formalised.  It could be as simple as an ebay
> reputation system, or just allowing reputation to flow through the
> proxy links.  If I vouch for someone and he doesn't come through, I
> should take a reputation hit too (and also probably reduce my trust in
> the person who vouched for him to me).

If computers are permitted, then to keep sock puppets away and formalize
trust networks, you might use a trust metric. When given direct trust (A
trusts B to this extent), they extrapolate indirect trust (A trusts C
because A trusts B and B trusts C). Some of the trust metrics also aim
to be hard to manipulate, so that, for instance, if a user makes 1000
clones, all of these clones are bottlenecked through that user and so
trust adjustments against the user affects all the clones as well.

Here's one example of a trust metric for P2P networks:
http://www.stanford.edu/~sdkamvar/papers/eigentrust.pdf

And here's another, that's claimed to be manipulation resistant:
http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html