[EM] Geographical districts

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:13:11 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> One simple approach would be to ask the voters directly about the
> (physical/mental) distances. The answers could be of e.g.
> Village1>Village2>Village3>... There could be more villages on the
> questionnaire than there will be districts.

I suggested something similar a while back.  Basically, you assume
that each resident ranks all the residents in order of distance.

You then hold a PR-STV election with 'seats' equal to the number of districts.

The winners then become the centres of the districts.

Ofc, under that system, the voters don't actually get to vote.

If voters were going to vote, maybe they could have less accuracy as
they go further away (e.g. the nearest 5 villages appear but
eventually it is only towns, then only cities).  Also, it would be a
nightmare to count without computers.