[EM] language/framing quibble

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 13:32:16 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Raph Frank

Thank you very much for your comments.  The material I referred to may
have been extensive, but is not as extensive as a careful contemplation
of this complex topic requires.  I did not expect others to study the
material.  I supplied it for those who enjoy fresh points of view,
rationally expressed.

re: "If there is a group that is always part of the minority, then that
leads to resentment."

The fact that a group exists does not entitle it to recognition or
empowerment.  If an idea lacks the intrinsic merit to gain broad
acceptance, it is not entitled to representation.  Those who would blow
up the Statue of Liberty will (I hope) always be a minority.  If they
resent their lack of majority, it is incumbent on them to present the
rationale for their point of view in a manner that gains adherents.

The proponents of ideas must be afforded the greatest possible
opportunity to convince their peers of the rectitude of their point of
view but the conviction must come, not from deception and sloganeering,
but from careful analysis and deliberation.

re: "The plurality voting system combined with mass gerrymandering is
almost designed to make voting pointless."

I agree.

re: "This is what is leading to a drop in the number of voters."

In a sense, that's correct.  As I indicated in an earlier post, our
political system puts the public on the periphery.  They have no
interest because they have no role in the process (that's reserved for
the 'party faithful').

re: "The question is how best to decide how to vote."

I disagree.  The question is how we, the people, can select who and what
we vote for.

re: "... it might not end up giving everyone equal power, but at least
it allows the groups to negotiate, rather than excluding certain groups
from being part of the discussions."

This appears to make the groups more important than the people.  They're
not.

re: "Candidate selection is certainly important.  Control of the
selection process is similar to control of the districting process, it
gives alot of power."

Precisely.  And that power is used to the detriment of the humans
amongst us.  Diluting it will not eradicate it.

Fred