[EM] No geographical districts

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 4 11:12:57 PDT 2008

Hello James,

(for other readers , please let me state again that, in my humble opinion,
STV family of electoral systems are the best multi-winner methods "on the
market" actually. However, it should not stop us from criticizing aspects we
think could be enhanced. It is not because you have a radio and a
photographic apparel that you should not try to invent TV...).

Yes most electors would be very content with much less than proportionality
at the limit
because they are convinced they have to sacrifice something else to obtain
it
(local representation for some, government stability, access to a
representative,...).
No one has ever presented them with an option that conciliate all these
goals.
Several demand a guaranteed local representation (although this demand is a
lot stronger in rural areas not urban ones). But we all already have a
municipal level that is based on geographical management and can facilitate
access to a local representative.

Thus:
-I want to push the proportionnality limit to obtain a true representation
of the electorate.
I can cope with the stability problems that could occur using other tools,
like the crutch option for example.
- I want a large number of candidates because the more option you get as a
voter, the more ideas you can choose among and the more representative is
the result of the election.
-I want list built for a party from the electoral result of the voters would
expressed a preference for that party. Thus, no party oligarchy can impose a
hierarchy to its supporters and still individual imputability plays a role
because we would vote for somebody and not for a "cause".

STV or STV-PR with one big district would give me these properties, but I
try to get rid of the
problems it produces. Am I logical enough?

For the purpose of presenting different debates per district, I see very
well putting each debate onthe web, on a political youtube. Thus speech time
and not money would have  to be fairly
attributed.

And finally about the real world issue, it seems it all comes to how we see
the world. I am very proud of having a municipal level which solves most of
my geographical problems (removing the snow, taking the garbagge, giving
access to a library, managing street parking,...).  However,
my major concerns go through boundaries most of the time (SRAS, hurricanes,
acid rain, animals,
epidemia, religions, ideas, money, inflation, planes, violence on tv, bombs,
terrorists, free trade products, gay weddings, abortion, drug legalisation,
add as much actuality major issue you like...) . Virtual districts would fit
better the real world.  I want my vote to reflect the real world in which I
live, by assessing that major debates are now some that concern the overall
planet.
Having representatives elected from non-geographical districts does not
remove their geographical link. We all come from somewhere we know well. It
just removes their geographical dependance about being elected or not.
Governing is taking decisions. We want defendors of the options and neutral
judges to choose between them like in a justice court. How can we expect our
current system to behave properly when MP's have to do both! Defendors
should be elected from a ground territory to defend the rights of the people
they know well.  Judges should have no link to take decisions in the best
interest for all. Hence, decision takers (country representatives) should be
elected from non-geographical districts.

The real world now spreads ideas all around the globe in a minute like I am
doing right now.
Distance is less and less relevant. We should adapt our political structures
to this reality.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
Stéphane.