[EM] No geographical districts

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 3 21:35:40 PDT 2008

Why not self-chosen districts ?
Because then the last half of voters would be able to pick
between district already composed of majoritarians ideologies.
Again the least organized and the smallest group would finish splitted
between several districts where they would be in minority.

Do you really believe that if you represent 1% of an ideology,
others political parties will keep the last of 100 seats for you?
With an FPTP system they would gang up as much districts
to 51% and let you be minoritarian in the district(s) you want.

You could argue that a proportional system would solve the representation
problem, whatever district definition used. But it would not solve
the ability that politicians have for "bribing" a geographical district,
simply by targeting an area that is an undecided district. With selfchosen
district,
anyone can say to teachers, automobile workers, or any other segment of the
population:
"gather in one district, mine, and I'll flood your field with fresh
investment"
With astrological districts, subventioning an hospital that would treat only
people
born between january 11th and january 16th would be:
1) complex to implement;
2) easy to be proven;
3) an obvious case of political bribery attempt.
It would bring regions to discuss between one another instead of confront
each other,
having all representatives of the whole country instead of each defending
its piece of cake.

But I concede: it would not stop a classical influence traffic which consist
of giving money
to a politician to tell him how to vote... That would still be a police job.