[EM] No geographical districts

Stéphane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 3 22:02:45 PDT 2008

Dear "baby" Jonathan,

STV-PR suffers from three principal problems that are exacerbated when
trying to push the proportionality limit. They are all caused by the large
number of candidates:
1) A pre-selection occurs within each party, in order for the star candidate
of each party to get elected, that star often tries to kill concurrency
having bad collegues running with him or none at all in order to increase
its own election probability;
2) It is hard to make fair debates when the number of candidates is huge and
they are not even the same for several parties: in the end the candidates
having the most means (money and visibility) have the opporunity of getting
heard and the others may simply not;
3) voters complain about the large number of names on the ballot adding
several undesirable behaviours like random completion or following a party
pre-selection.

Equivalent virtual districts have no such problems: they allow comparing all
candidates with every party proposing a unique candidacy per district. The
result is you can obtain PR results like using only one district for STV-PR,
without the previous problems.