[EM] Wilson-Pakula - an odd New York law

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Oct 23 07:28:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:27:27 -0400 Fred Gohlke wrote:
> Good Morning, Dave
>
> re: "A bit of history from my county:
>
>   County committee chair in one party got enough committee
>   members to let him substitute for them to be able to hold
>   committee meetings in a telephone booth if he chose to.
>
>   When his doings created enough unhappiness, some members
>   accepted responsibility for running for county committee
>   office, got themselves elected, and the now ex-chair lost
>   interest in the committee."
>
> Do you offer this as an example of how a well-ordered community should
> interact politically?  I do not find it so.  It fails to address the
> fundamental question:  "By what right, constitutional or natural, does a
> 'party committee' usurp the right to make political decisions for a
> community?"

I did not write what you seem to have thought that I wrote.  I said nothing
as to what powers a party county committee might have.

They do have some power and responsibilities as to who gets to be
candidates on the ballot line owned by the party.

NY Election law provides for committee members being elected at primary
election every two years.

A committee member can permit another committee member to act for them.  I
am sure this is a committee rules topic - perhaps the rule should limit haw
many other members one can act for - less than what this chair possessed.
> Fred
                  If you want peace, work for justice.