[EM] NPV vs Condorcet

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 22 12:47:01 PDT 2008

Dave Ketchum wrote:
> The first N*N matrix  below is what I was talking about - it takes the
> information from the FPTP votes and records that as if bullet votes.
>
> Note that this example matrix is complete only for only three
> candidates. If there were seven candidates the matrix would be bigger,
> showing A, B, and C ranking over the other four.
>
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:18:00 +0200 Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:
[snip]
>> That's the "consider bullet voters" idea. The other one is to count
>> the plurality vote locally, so you get:
>>
>> 100: Able > Baker > Charlie
>
> BUT, the FPTP voters could not express such thoughts.

That's right, they could not. This would simply be the result of the
Plurality election (for that district), turned into a preference
ordering of magnitude equal to the number of voters in that district.
Such a generalization would work no matter what method you'd use (even
IRV), but it'd be suboptimal since it compresses down the data of all
the voters into a single preference, whereas with FPTP-as-Condorcet,
you'd get the data directly.