[EM] Bullet voting/truncation in Condorcet elections (was Re: NPV vs Condorcet)

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Wed Oct 22 12:00:16 PDT 2008

Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

 > If we consider the votes as bullet votes, then we can expand to:

 > 45: Able > Baker = Charlie
 > 40: Baker > Able = Charlie
 > 15: Charlie > Able = Baker

 > which produces the matrix you gave above.

        Able     Baker    Charlie
        -------  -------  -------
Able        --       45       45
Baker       40       --       40
Charlie     15       15       --

OK, I was wrong when I said the cross-diagonal cells have to add up to
100. This way of accounting for tied rankings dictates otherwise.

Suppose, instead, we treat tied rankings as a half a vote for each
candidate:

22.5: Able > Bake > Charlie
22.5: Able > Charlie > Baker
20.0: Baker > Able > Charlie
20.0: Baker > Charlie > Able
 7.5: Charlie > Able > Baker
 7.5: Charlie > Baker > Able

        Able     Baker    Charlie
        -------  -------  -------
Able        --     52.5     65.0
Baker     47.5       --     62.5
Charlie   35.0     37.5       --

In another post in this thread, Raph Frank describes a third way of
representing tied rankings using proportions. Using the example above
instead of his example:

32.73: Able > Baker > Charlie
12.27: Able > Charlie > Baker
30.00: Baker > Able > Charlie
10.00: Baker > Charlie > Able
 7.94: Charlie > Able > Baker
 7.06: Charlie > Baker > Able

        Able     Baker    Charlie
        -------  -------  -------
Able        --    52.94    75.00
Baker    47.06       --    72.73
Charlie  25.00    27.27       --

In this example, Able is the Condorcet winner in all three matrices.
Several questions:

(1) Is this true in general, for all possible profiles? If there's a
Condorcet winner, is it always the same candidate no matter how you
treat tied rankings?

(2) Are there profiles containing cycles for which different
Condorcet-completion methods would give different winners depending on
how the tied rankings are represented?

(3) Going back to Dave Ketchum's original proposal that different voting
methods can be used in different subjurisdictions (e.g. states in the
case of NPV) and the matrices added together, could the method of
representing tied rankings ever affect the outcome in the jurisdiction
as a whole? I haven't tried to work this out, but intuitively it seems
to me that the answer is yes.

(4) I gather that Kristofer's procedure is the one most frequently used
in discussions of Condorcet. Is that true, and what is the history or
reasoning behind this?

Thanks,
Bob

--