[EM] Buying Votes

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Oct 22 09:29:24 PDT 2008

Good Morning, Greg

There were several points in your message that caught my attention but,
to avoid opening too many topics, I will only address one:

re: "This all comes down to the very nature of voting and
      democracy.

      As I have attempted to explain, voting is the exact opposite
      of individual rights ..."

I have not seen that sentiment expressed before.  It is worthy of
further comment:

The reason voting is the opposite of individual rights is that our
ability to participate in the political process is limited to approving
or disapproving choices made by others.  Nothing in our present practice
allows us to influence the selection of the people or issues for which
we vote.  That right is reserved to subsets of our society and denied to
the rest of us.  Thus, our political system is oligarchical, rather than
democratic, in nature.

Voting under such circumstances violates our natural right to govern
ourselves.

Fred