[EM] About Condorcet//Approval

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Mon Oct 20 13:37:54 PDT 2008

Diego Santos wrote:
> Many members of this list prefer a Condorcet method to any other voting
> method, especially if it meets Smith. But how vulnerable are ranked
> methods to strategic voting?
>
> Consider these two assumptions:
>
> 1. Sincere Condorcet cycles would are too rare if used in real elections.
> 2. Strategies are somewhat common in contentions elections.
>
> Compromising is almost unnecessary in River, Schulze or Ranked Pairs,
> but these methods are vulnerable to burying. And still if a sincere
> Condorcet winner exists, these methods have a possibility to elect a
> Condorcet loser, because only rankings don't provide enough information
> to find the sincere winner in all situations.
>
> I don't have a proof, but I think that if a sincere Condorcet winner
> exists, Smith//approval is the only method  resistant to both
> compromising and burying strategies. This property is valid in all
> 3-candidate scenarios.
>
> Because Smith is more complex to explain, my current favorite election
> method is Condorcet//Approval. We don't need complex algorithms to find
> a winner.

You could also have the approval version of Smith,IRV. Call it
Condorcet,Approval. I think it's Smith (so it would be Smith,Approval),
but I'm not sure. The method is this: Drop candidates, starting with the
Approval loser and moving upwards, until there's a CW. Then that one is
the winner.

Is Condorcet,Approval (Smith,Approval?) nonmonotonic? If not, and it is
Smith, then you have a simple Smith-compliant Condorcet/approval method.

These methods would obviously need approval cutoff ballots (unless you
go with the MDDA assumption, that the approval cutoff is where the voter
truncates, but I don't think that would be a good idea here).