[EM] IRNR question

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:09:36 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> wrote:
> Hmm, only kick out the losingest loser. I kinda think there would still be
> discontinuities, but it might be better. Probably worth trying. Now I just
> need to code that up and run the diagram code. Dunno when I'll actually get
> around to that.
>
> Has anyone checked what happens to regular IRV under such a system?

Hmm, it becomes a condorcet complaint method (and so would the IRNR
version).  To be eliminated, you must lose pairwise to someone at
least once (i.e. when there are only 2 candidates remaining in a
(super)-round).

It may suffer from the same problems as IRV-BTR ... which apparently
has lots of bad properties :p.

A disadvantage of the system is that it would take a large number of
rounds, with N candidates you are looking at on the order of N squared
rounds

Actually, a simpler method would be IRNR-BTR.  Rather than eliminating
the lowest candidate, the lowest 2 candidates are compared pairwise
against each other and the loser is eliminated.