[EM] Who comes "second" in Ranked Pairs?

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Oct 19 05:56:45 PDT 2008

Dear Steve,

in my old post
http://lists.electorama.com/htdig.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-April/012735.html,
some simulations are reporterd. There the following sentence is found:

"Judging from who beats whom, max. length, mean length, or sum of
defeats, we get	MAM > River+ > Beatpath."

By this I meant that the MAM winner beat the River winner more often
than vice versa. That simulation was apparently with 4 or 20 options and
a heterogeneous electorate where there was "no linearity" in the sense
that preferences of different voters were not correlated.

Yours, Jobst

Steve Eppley schrieb:
> [...]
> beatpath against the winner, there is a stronger (or equally strong)
> beatpath back."  In scenarios where a losing alternative has a stronger
> beatpath to the MAM winner and/or the River winner, what is the harm?
> If there is no harm, why should anyone care about this criterion?
>
> I never ran a simulation comparing MAM vs River to see which method's
> winner is ranked over the other's winner more often over the long run.
> Has anyone run that simulation?  The MAM vs Beatpath simulation showed
> that MAM winners are ranked over Beatpath winners over the long run.
> For more details, follow the link at the website above to "MAM vs
> PathWinner."
>
> Regards,
> Steve
> Jobst Heitzig wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> you're right, the option ending up second in the ranking constructed
>> in RP is also the one that wins when you exclude the first winner.
>> Even more so, the whole new ranking is just the old one with the top
>> removed.
>>
>> There is, by the way, a related major difference between RP and the
>> otherwise very similar methods Beatpath (aka Schulze) and River: In
>> those two the 2nd place winner (= winner when 1st place winner is
>> removed) cannot nearly as easily be determined from the original result.
>>
>> And in those two methods it can even happen that the 2nd place winner
>> is an option which defeats the 1st place winner pairwise. To see this,
>> consider a situation with four options A,B,C,D and the following
>> pairwise defeats in order of descending defeat strength: B>D, A>C,
>> C>D, D>A, A>B, B>C. In this situation Beatpath will elect B 1st and
>> will elect A when B is removed. Also River will elect B 1st, locking
>> in the defeats B>D>A>C only, and will elect A when B is removed. So
>> under both methods the 2nd place winner A defeats the 1st place B. But
>> RP will lock in all defeats but D>A, making A the 1st place winner and
>> B the 2nd place.
>>
>> This property is one of the very few in which RP, Beatpath, and River
>> differ. The other two such properties are (ii) that only River
>> fulfills IPDA and ISDA, and (iii) only Beatpath fulfills (by
>> definition) the requirement that for each beatpath against the winner
>> there is a stronger (or equally strong) beatpath back. So each of the
>> three similar methods has at least one desirable property the other
>> two don't share.
>>
>> Yours, Jobst
>>

>> Kristofer Munsterhjelm schrieb:

>>> I think they're the same. I don't have proof of this, but I think it
>>> was given in an earlier post on this list.
>>>
>>> In any event, your #2 answer is the right one. When you lock in
>>> victories, you'll either go through all 0.5*n*(n-1) possible
>>> victories, or enough that you have a complete ordering. In either
>>> case, you use that ordering as the final result.
>>>
>>> For instance, if you have a situation with candidates A, B, and C, and

>>> 2. B > A
>>> 3. A > C
>>> 4. B > C