[EM] Voting Theory and Populism

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Oct 18 20:14:33 PDT 2008

Diego Santos <diego.renato at gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, my computer objects to something you wrote.

> What strategy is it designed to protect against?
>
> Improved Approval Runoff is a trying to fix Two-round runoff,
> to avoid cases like 2002 French presidential election.
> You can approve your favourite candidate with low chances of
> winning, and other satisfactory frontrunner.

The French voted on equivalent of m1, m2, m3, m4, or, and ol.

or and ol got to the runoff and the French thought of rioting because none
of the m's got to the runoff.

Agreed they need something better than FPTP, but Approval does not help.
Backers of the various m's would gladly vote preference for all m's over
the  o's - but they want to show preference among the ms, the same thought
that made them distribute their votes among the m's.

Condorcet ranking would let them express their desires.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.