[EM] Voting Theory and Populism

Diego Santos diego.renato at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 19:46:36 PDT 2008

Suppose this example under simple approval + top 2 runoff:

Sincere preferences:

8: A > B > C
7: B > A > C
6: C > B > A

In the first round, they decided to approve only their first preference:

8: A
7: B
6: C

C is eliminated.

In the second round, the 6 C voters will support B, then B wins.

To avoid this, the A party nominates a clone A*. Then, the first round is
changed to:

8: A, A*
7: B
6: C

Then A and A* are in the runoff with 8 approvals. I. e., App + t2r has the
same clone-help property like borda.

Under IAR, if A is the approval winner, the A* approval score is 4, and B
still is in the runoff. Then IAR reduces the probability that a candidate
wins because of strategic nomination.

--
Diego Renato dos Santos