[EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Sat Oct 18 12:13:41 PDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Raph Frank wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Jonathan Lundell
> <jlundell at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Oct 18, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Raph Frank wrote:
>>> I think this would be a better policy than the National Popular Vote
>>> Interstate Compact.
>>
>> Better in what sense?
>
> In the sense that it will result in a PR Electoral College, rather
> than entrenching FPTP as the method to elect the President.

I'm still not getting it. Perhaps I'm not following the mechanism
you're suggesting.

I do agree that there are cases where a proportional EC with free-
agent electors could have a better (in the sense of more democratic)
result than FPTP--say in 1992, where FPTP elects Clinton, but a PR EC
elects Bush1 by combining Bush and Perot electors, or in 2000 Nader
+Gore electors defeat Bush2 (absent SCOTUS interference, anyway).

It's hard to imagine the mechanism, though, especially since without
universal (by state) participation, any significant state not playing
would have a strong edge (unless, I suppose, the compact states agreed
to compensate...wheels within wheels).

The advantage of NPV is that it's simple and doable, even without the
consent of small states currently over-represented in the College.
Does that offset the distinct downside of entrenching FPTP plurality?
Maybe so, unless the alternative is business as usual.