[EM] Making a Bad Thing Worse

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 11:26:03 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Jonathan Lundell <jlundell at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Raph Frank wrote:
>> I think this would be a better policy than the National Popular Vote
>> Interstate Compact.
>
> Better in what sense?

In the sense that it will result in a PR Electoral College, rather
than entrenching FPTP as the method to elect the President.

I would also like to see the rules preventing Electors from having a
mind of their own reduced.  Maybe also, the compact's electors would
have a pre-meeting to decide how to vote.

I am not sure if that would be constitutional though as they are
supposed to meet in the State capital, it could be claimed that this
implies that they don't meet anywhere else.

In any case, if there were 3-4 parties and nobody had a majority,
there would probably be some negotiations at the party level, so not
meeting up mightn't be an issue.