[EM] Populism and Voting Theory

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Fri Oct 17 06:09:16 PDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:11 PM, Greg Nisbet wrote:

> Which system do you think would work best that is actually achievable?

That's like asking the oft asked question, 'which candidate is
electable?' and I HATE that question.
It's like suggesting that we prematurely compromise and compress our
election reform advocacy down to a single method to push for when I'd
much rather say that I support: 1. IRNR, 2. Condorcet, 3. IRV, 4.
Approval. And sometimes I want a side of PR-STV, redistricting and
elimination of bad voting machines.

In my few years of election reform advocacy, nearly everyone I've
talked to agrees that 'rankings ballots' or 'ranked choice voting' is
a good idea. Probably 80-90% of people I talk to I've been able to
convince that IRV is severely suboptimal (but better than nothing) and
that Condorcet methods are better. Maybe I should try to write down
the elevator pitches/stump speechs/good lines/patter that seem to work
and put together a pamphlet for election reform advocates.