[EM] IRV vs Condorcet vs Range/Score

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 15 09:49:41 PDT 2008

Raph Frank wrote:
> On 10/9/08, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>>      If there is a near tie among three or more, they often disagree but
>> usually get one of the leaders - matters little since the leaders were about
>> equally deserving.
>
> It matters because IRV reinforces the 2 party system.
>
> it would be interesting to know what would be the effect of electing a
> parliament by condorcet voting from single seat districts.  It is
> possible that it would also result in a 2 party system.

Since Condorcet is a majoritarian method (as it needs to be in order to
be a good single-winner method), the resulting parliament would also be
majoritarian. This means that a party whose candidates consistently got
low support in all districts would find none of those elected.

But Condorcet is also a better single-winner method than Plurality, so
the candidates would be better representatives of the majority. They
would probably be good compromise candidates, so the parliament would be
less party-based than one elected by PR methods.

This might not be all that good for traditional parliaments; I don't
know if the majoritarian nature would lessen competition (except in
dominant-party states, where using Condorcet would be an improvement on
Plurality in that respect), but it would reduce the voice of the minority.

It might be a good choice for an upper house decided to be a moderating
counterweight to a populist lower house.

> However, based on certain assumptions, IRV is 2 party reinforcing.
> Also, Australia gives "experimental" evidence that IRV leads to a 2
> party system.
>
> Condorcet wouldn't necessarily, so that is a good reason to at least try it.

It's possible that IRV is a bad single-winner method precisely because
STV is a good PR method (with many seats). In STV, one doesn't need to
find a candidate that covers a large area of opinion space, since other
candidates can be used to cover those areas, but in IRV there are no
other positions to be used in such a manner. I'm not sure if this is the
reason, but it would fit well with my simulation results that
"majoritarian IRV" (eliminate until only k remains for council size k)
is a surprisingly good PR method, at least in absence of strategy.