[EM] IRV vs Condorcet vs Range/Score

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Oct 9 08:55:28 PDT 2008

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:18:50 +0100 Raph Frank wrote:
> On 10/9/08, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
>
>>     If there is a near tie among three or more, they often disagree but
>>usually get one of the leaders - matters little since the leaders were about
>>equally deserving.

This was part of my argument that Condorcet is better than IRV.

If Condorcet sees a cycle, A>B and B>C and C>A, we know that each got a
bunch of approval and we tear our hair awarding winner, while knowing that
other candidates are clear losers.  If IRV awards a different winner among
these three it is nothing to get excited about (of course, we throw rocks
if IRV awards a win to what Condorcet sees as clear losers).

> It matters because IRV reinforces the 2 party system.

A dangerous topic:
      Plurality pretty clearly does - and we also have to contend with
those who like the 2 party system.
      I claim Condorcet does not, for voters can rank multiple candidates,
having ability to vote for a 2 party candidate, especially when they expect
such will win, and others they wish to back.
      But IRV uses the same ballot.  I wonder whet might be different in
Australia.
      Score does ratings instead of ranks - what would their excuse for
claiming superiority on this topic be?

> it would be interesting to know what would be the effect of electing a
> parliament by condorcet voting from single seat districts.  It is
> possible that it would also result in a 2 party system.

Election method can matter, but so can other environment details.

> However, based on certain assumptions, IRV is 2 party reinforcing.
> Also, Australia gives "experimental" evidence that IRV leads to a 2
> party system.
>
> Condorcet wouldn't necessarily, so that is a good reason to at least try it.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.