[EM] Fixing Range Voting

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 03:14:14 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> wrote:
> I mean the geometric sense. For ratings a,b,c,etc., sqrt(a*a + b*b + c*c
> ...)

It has the potential to cause cumulative voting like effects.  This is
especially true in the initial rounds.

Approval and range votings main point is that you can give anyone a
high rating without it hurting you.

Also, you would treat

[+5,-5]
different from
[+10,0]

>> It id heard to determine which plot refers to which method.

(bleh, multiple typos) ... meant "it is hard", though you pretty much
worked that out.

> In a sense, part of the result is that there's a pretty tight pack of
> similar (good) results and a few outliers (IRV, pick-one).

Fair enough.  Maybe use dotted lines and dot-dash for those 2 ones.

Alternatively, since the plots don't cross much, you could arrange the
names in the same order as the resulting curves.

>> If only 2 candidates remain, then it will set the window as max and
>> min of those candidates.
>
> I think that's pretty similar to what I'd planned to implement. I'm still
> expecting some tinkering will be needed to get it to do solutions with
> negligible instability.

Ofc, the more complex you make it, the harder it is to explain.