[EM] Strategic Voting and Simulating It

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 03:11:43 PDT 2008

On 10/14/08, Greg Nisbet <gregory.nisbet at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know what is currently wrong with the strategic voting
> simulations.

One objection I would have is that in real life all candidates are not
treated equally by the voters.

This is especially true in something like plurality.  One of the 2
main party candidates is certain to win.  In effect, the initial state
of the process doesn't start with a blank slate, the 2 party
candidates start ahead of everyone else.

Your strategy method is independent and it treats all candidates
equal, while in RL, that is not the case.

I would suggest the following:

1) Pick 2 candidates as the 'top 2'

2) Each voter votes as if the top 2 are the only candidates
- most methods handle this as a pure majority based method

3) Loop through each voter one at a time
- Test all possible votes that voter can pick
- Pick the one that gives the best result for the voter

4) goto 3, until stability is achieved (or a max number of passes occurs)

The trick is how you calculate the best result.

My opinion is that "Best result" should give priority to the winning
margin of the first and second place candidate and then works
downwards to less important margins.

So, taking plurality as an example, if my ratings are