[EM] Range vs Condorcet Overview

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Tue Oct 14 02:06:36 PDT 2008

Dear Kevin,

your wrote:
> The problem is that if you do not guarantee the majority that they will
> get their favorite if they vote sincerely, then they will stop telling
> you who their compromise choices are.

No. In D2MAC there is no such guarantee (since it is not majoritarian) and this fact is the *very* reason that under D2MAC majorities *will* tell you what their compromise is (if it's a good compromise) since that is the only way to get the compromise elected instead of ending up with a random ballot lottery! No majoritarian method will elect the compromise in the simple 55/45-example I posted several times, only non-majoritarian methods succeed here.

Yours, Jobst