[EM] [RangeVoting] IRV vs Condorcet vs Range/Score

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Fri Oct 10 10:26:55 PDT 2008

Dave,

You are using the term "Condorcet" in a way that is increasingly common,
but confusing to election method theorists, to mean a ranked voting method
that is easiest to explain by imagining a series of one-on-one comparisons
using a ranked ballot. What Chris B. was getting at is that Condorcet is a
CRITERION (in fact there is also a Condorcet-loser criterion, which I
think is more useful), which is used in evaluating voting methods, rather
than an actual voting method itself. There are probably a dozen different
voting methods that are Condorcet compliant, and many others that aren't
(complying with other criteria that some believe are more crucial). The
issue separating the various Condorcet methods is how you find a winner
when there is no Condorcet winner.

Terry Bouricius