[EM] Fwd: FW: IRV Challenge - Press Announcement

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 11:17:35 PDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Kathy Dopp wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Thank you Doug. I woke up this a.m. realizing that fact.

It's Jonathan, but never mind....

> However, then the City must admit that all voters who voted Doug>Meg
> and did not list a third choice, have their votes diluted to less than
> one vote, since the vote values these voters retain is 1 - 0.0434

Those voters have simply engaged in a kind of contingent abstention,
having, apparently, no preference beyond Doug & Meg. They hardly have
any ground for complaint, since both their choices have been elected.

Consider a voter who declines to list even a first choice: her vote
value is 0, and yet we don't consider that to be "unequal treatment"
in a plurality election.