[EM] Fwd: FW: IRV Challenge - Press Announcement

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 10:45:47 PDT 2008

Kathy
Can you please provide a link to a directory where we can find all of the relevant documents, and with their correct titles, as
referenced in the various legal texts?
I found my way to this page of links:
  http://electionmathematics.org/em-IRV/

I have looked at all of the documents listed there and have read some parts of some of them in detail.  The language used is
confusing in places because the word "vote" is frequently used when the reference is to "ballot paper".  For example, a "vote" has
only one value, namely "1", but a ballot paper may, at different times, have different values, the maximum of which is "1 vote".
This distinction between "ballot paper" and "vote" is helpful, if not essential, to a proper understanding of how STV-PR works and
is applied.  (But perhaps the use of the word "vote" in this way is to comply with some relevant USA legal language?)

>From the definitions given in this document:
  http://electionmathematics.org/em-IRV/AMENDED_REV_OrdinanceMNTaskForce.pdf
it is clear that for multi-winner STV-PR elections the City of Minneapolis would use the Weighted Inclusive Gregory Method (WIGM)
for transferring surpluses.  This method uses fractional transfer values ("Gregory"), based on transferring all of the relevant
ballot papers ("inclusive"), each at the correct value ("weighted").  Thus at no time can any ballot paper ever have a value
exceeding 1.0000 vote (as they are working to four decimal places).

I cannot comment on the accuracy of the various examples and counter-examples of the WIGM calculations because I cannot be sure I
have been looking at the correct documents.  It is very difficult to know what is what when a small part of a calculation is
presented without its full context (but that is typical of legal documents that make lots of cross-references to other documents and
productions).

Leaving all the arithmetical details aside, it would appear from this document:
  http://electionmathematics.org/em-IRV/ReplyMemoJG10-6-08.pdf
that the Plaintiffs' main argument against STV-PR is that its use would be "unconstitutional" because the second preferences used to
transfer surplus votes are examined and given effect before any other second preferences are considered.  This is portrayed as
creating an inequality of one person's vote compared to another.

It is essential that the surpluses are transferred BEFORE any other action because the destination of the surplus could change what
has to happen next in identifying the required number of winners from among the larger number of candidates.  Specifically, the
surplus could reverse the order of the bottom two candidates and so change the one who will be excluded at the next step in the
counting process (always assuming an exclusion is the next step).

It is a novel idea that giving effect to the contingency choices of the voters in a way that ensures proportional representation
would be "unconstitutional".

James