[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Mon Oct 6 22:03:47 PDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 11:30 AM, AllAbout Voting wrote:

> So I will ask a pair of constructive questions:
> 1. Can Condorcet voting be compatible with precinct level optical scan
> systems?  (which many election integrity advocates consider to be
> pretty good)

Yes.

> 2. Can Condorcet voting be compatible with end-to-end verifiable
> election integrity systems such as punchscan, 3-ballot, etc...?

Aside from the NxNx3 adaption of 3-ballot to condorcet information, I
think it was suggested on this list a while ago that 3-ballot can be
adapted to 0-100 range voting by scaling up its three ballots of 0-1
voting and requiring sums of 100-200 for a valid vote instead of sums
of 1 or 2. If that sort of system was used, rankings for condorcet
counting could be extracted from the ratings votes, or a more advanced
ratings-aware system could be used. Actually, that sounds pretty
messy. NxNx3 is probably better.

Most of these methods require automatic ballot construction or
specially clueful voters. I'd expect 99% of voters to never bother
verifying that the election was actually done right if they had the
certificates with which to check it. I think probably the best defense
against electoral malfeasance is probably through the political and
legal processes, and through the vigilance of the citizenry. We'll
never make a system so mathematically perfect that we don't still need
those other things.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/