[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Oct 6 17:02:39 PDT 2008

Jonathan,

Burlington uses open-source free tallying software (Choice Plus Pro), not
SF.

The Burlington ballot records and software are here
http://www.burlingtonvotes.org/20060307/

As for San Francisco ballots and other election data for one of their
ranked choice voting (RCV) elections...

1.      Raw first choice totals reported in all the election reports (
http://www.sfgov.org/site/elections_index.asp?id=68841 )

2.      The complete set of RCV rankings, sortable by precinct (
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/elections/ElectionsArchives/2007/november/BallotImage.txt )

3.      The round-by-round RCV tally (in the years, unlike 2007, when an
RCV tally actually occurs) (for example,
http://www.sfgov.org/site/elections_index.asp?id=61583 ), and

4.      Statement of vote showing precinct and absentee totals for all
candidates in all precincts (
http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/elections/ElectionsArchives/2007/november/SOV071106.txt )

All of this data is released starting on election night and updated
through the counting of absentee and provisional ballots.

[Source:  http://www.sfgov.org/site/elections_index.asp ]

-Terry Bouricius