[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 20:21:00 PDT 2008

Jonathan

Not a bad solution at all Jonathan, although there is a lack of
transparency to any electronic count for the average citizen - and
IRV/STV counting methods are virtually impossible to audit with
anything less than a 100% manual count and are virtually impossible to
accurately manually count in some election contests.

But I like this solution for any alternative voting method that does
not have all the other severe flaws of the IRV/STV method.

Ballot level auditing does have certain challenges as you mention.

Kathy

--

Kathy Dopp

The material expressed herein is the informed  product of the author
Kathy Dopp's fact-finding and investigative efforts. Dopp is a
Mathematician, Expert in election audit mathematics and procedures; in
exit poll discrepancy analysis; and can be reached at

P.O. Box 680192
Park City, UT 84068
phone 435-658-4657

http://utahcountvotes.org
http://electionmathematics.org
http://electionarchive.org

How to Audit Election Outcome Accuracy
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/VoteCountAuditBillRequest.pdf

History of Confidence Election Auditing Development & Overview of
Election Auditing Fundamentals
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/History-of-Election-Auditing-Development.pdf

Voters Have Reason to Worry
http://utahcountvotes.org/UT/UtahCountVotes-ThadHall-Response.pdf