[EM] the 'who' and the 'what' - trying again

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Oct 3 22:56:01 PDT 2008

Dave Ketchum wrote:
>      In simulation there is value, and sometimes excessive temptation, in
> tailoring test cases to favor a desired result.

Maybe try an open simulator.  Make the "electorate engine" pluggable
so experimenters can try different voting behaviours.  That should
protect against bias.

>      In vivo, as I proposed, you get all kinds of test cases exposed to
> multiple formulas, but not necessarily a good variety of test cases.

It's nice to go live, but the up front costs will be high.

It's risky too because you have to follow the crowd.  Sites will offer
alternative voting methods and electors will vote with their feet.
There's no telling where they'll be attracted, or whether it'll jive
with the test plans.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, 647-436-4521