[EM] the 'who' and the 'what' - trying again

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Oct 3 10:25:48 PDT 2008

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 04:12:21 -0400 Michael Allan wrote:
> Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>>I do not understand 'no resolution':
>>
>>By time N1 there have been 10 votes in the poll - to analyze as a complete
>>Condorcet election.
>>
>>By time N2 there have been 2 more, for a total of 12 to analyze as if a
>>complete election.
>>
>>Any such election may produce a CW.
>>
>>Those that do not produce a CW result in a cycle...
>

> Meaning indecision?  Maybe it's best to leave it at that.  To
> "resolve" it and report it as a decision is to report a fabrication.
> (I was taking your preference for a hands-off resolution to the
> extreme.  When faced with cycles, meaning indecisions, "nothing gets
> done to encourage or discourage their existence."  Let the indecision
> be.  "Let be be finale of seem...  Let the lamp affix its beam.")
>
> Or meaning the Condorcet count is unable to "see" the decision?  Then:

Condorcet CAN see - perhaps each formula can be described as representing
view via different glasses.

Perhaps three groups of voters have come to SOLID decisions as to their
preferences, but their decisions conflict - A>B, B>C, and C>A.

>>... I suggest at least the
>>ability to implement multiple cycle resolution formulas, to support
>>comparison of the resolutions provided by various formulas.
>

> And maybe combine their resolving power?  Where a telescope is unable
> to resolve a faint star, an array of telescopes can do better.

We want to see which telescope does best - we are far from the point where
merging the conflicting results would help us toward truth.

>>Here I see Votorola offering a useful, though incomplete, service.  What I
>>see desirable for Condorcet is an external site using that service.
>

> I guess it depends on where you're aiming.  You can test resolution
> mechanisms under simulation in vitro.  Why test them in vivo?

Good question.  Trying:
      In simulation there is value, and sometimes excessive temptation, in
tailoring test cases to favor a desired result.
      In vivo, as I proposed, you get all kinds of test cases exposed to
multiple formulas, but not necessarily a good variety of test cases.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.