[EM] Why We Shouldn't Count Votes with Machines

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 10:45:16 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> wrote:
> ANYTHING cam get tampered with if enough doors are left ajar, including
> paper ballots (such as discarding, editing, or replacing some).

True, but paper ballots must be tampered with one at a time and it
takes many many more persons to affect any election by tampering with
paper ballots.  Whereas electronic ballots can be tampered with en
masse by one rogue programmer who can fraudulently alter an entire
county's or an entire state's election outcomes.

The risk is far greater for electronic fraud which is also much more
difficult to detect and secure against.  Paper ballots are much easier
to secure in a way that is understandable and transparent to citizens
and far more difficult (would take a far larger conspiracy) to tamper
with.

Watch this film for an education. It's great.
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~seclab/projects/voting/

Cheers,

Kathy