[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 23:02:53 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 27/11/08, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> From: Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr>
> Subject: Re: [EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.
> To: election-methods at electorama.com
> Date: Thursday, 27 November, 2008, 3:25 AM
> Hi Juho,
>
> --- En date de : Mer 26.11.08, Juho Laatu
> <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> > > It is also far from obvious to me that Approval
> > > uniquely
> > > requires a strategic decision.
> >
> > In the EM discussions people seem to assume
> > that at least one should put the cutoff between
> > some leading candidates. People seldom talk
> > about marking those candidates that one approves
> > (I have seen this approach however in some
> > mechanically generated ballots for simulations).
> > Don't know about real life.
>
> Yes. But what I'm trying to do is attack the concept of
> "sincerity" and
> show that "sincere vote" doesn't mean
> anything without shared
> assumptions about how a ballot can represent sincere
> preferences.
>
> (And then I would want to point out that this question of
> interpretation
> has no effect on the properties of the method.)

Yes, it is good to handle the mechanics of the methods
and the combination of the surrounding society and the
method as separate topics. The society may have impact
also on the performance of the method in the sense that
if the society does not accept strategic voting (or it
is just not widely spread) then the actual method may
also perform much better in such a society than in some
other one where strategic voting is the norm (voters
may e.g. generally vote as told by the strategists of
the parties).

Juho