[EM] Why the concept of "sincere" votes in Range is flawed.

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 25 21:55:41 PST 2008

Hi Juho,

--- En date de : Mar 25.11.08, Juho Laatu <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> a écrit :
> One approach to sincerity is to compare voter behaviour to
> the requested behaviour. In Approval if the request is to
> mark all candidates that one approves then placing the
> cutoff between two main candidates is often insincere..
> Approval is a special method from this point of view since
> it is often described as requiring the voter to plan what is
> the best strategic vote (where to put the cutoff).

I'm not sure that "requested behavior" is typically defined on the
ballot. It is also far from obvious to me that Approval uniquely
requires a strategic decision. You can also argue either that FPP also
asks for a strategic decision, or else that "approval" is supposed
to refer to a real concept.

You can easily deny that you have an internal concept of "approval,"
but you can also deny that you have an internal transitive ranking
of the candidates. Maybe it's harder to believe, but it can't be
disproven. (Though, I don't really think it is harder to believe,
since "approval" has a plain English meaning.)

Kevin Venzke