[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Tue Nov 25 09:31:47 PST 2008

Markus,

That observation is incorrect, as there was a come-from behind winner in
the November Pierce County IRV election, as well as in the famous Ann
arbor mayoral election in the 70s. But also, your logic is odd...Quite
often plurality rules will happen to elect a Condorcet-winner
candidate...but that fact is not compelling since it also frequently
elects the Condorcet-loser. I can point to MANY examples where plurality
has failed to elect a "rightful" winner (often electing the
Condorcet-loser). In none of the IRV elections has the Condorcet-loser
been elected (and cannot be). The point is that IRV does NOT always elect
the plurality leader.

Terry Bouricius