[EM] Top Two Runoff versus Instant Top To Runoff

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sun Nov 23 12:07:19 PST 2008

FWS wrote:

 > It was interesting that the IRV organization FairVote
 > was against the measure, even though there was no IRV
 > initiative on the ballot.

I can't speak for FairVote, but I can state my own reasons for being
against Measure 65 in Oregon, as well as the already-implemented
Initiative 872 in the State of Washington and a very similar proposal
being supported by Governor Schwarzenegger in California.

First, while there was no IRV proposal on the ballot along side Measure
65, there is an active IRV movement in Oregon. It is currently focused
mainly on local government as opposed to state government and Congress.
This is consistent with electoral reform strategy in most other places
in the U.S. Also, ranked choice voting methods are explicitly provided
for in the state constitution, although there is no enabling legislation,.

Second, and equally important for me, two-round runoff/top-two proposals
differ greatly in their treatment of political parties. It's possible to
structure them so parties nominate by convention, caucuses or privately
run primary. In these cases, each party controls the use of its name by
the candidates. But it's also possible to structure top-two so the role
of parties is reduced to various extents.

The top-two system now in effect in Washington gives individual
candidates the opportunity to call themselves anything they want on the
ballot (one Republican candidate chose "GOP" as his party label). The
parties have no say in this. As another example, California Proposition
62, which was rejected by the voters in 2004, would have allowed each
party to determine for each election whether candidates registered with
that party would be identified as such on the ballot and in government
publications. Parties would have to have made that decision for the
election as a whole, not on a candidate-by-candidate basis. The current
California proposal is very similar to Washington. I believe (but
haven't looked this up), that the proposal voted down in Oregon this
month, by about 65-35, was also modeled on Washington.

The motivation for all of these proposals have more to do with limiting
the role of political parties than it does with insuring majority
support for the winner.

Top-two is better than plurality (and potentially a step toward IRV
later on) but *only* if it doesn't infringe on the right of parties to
nominate candidates. I am against Washington's flavor of top-two and was
against Oregon Measure 65. But if someone puts a top-two proposal on the
ballot that allows each political party to determine which candidate or
candidates can use its name, I'd vote for it unless IRV was already on
the table (as is at least arguably the case in Oregon).

--Bob Richard