[EM] Why I Prefer IRV to Condorcet

Greg greg at somervilleirv.org
Fri Nov 21 17:06:27 PST 2008

Thanks, Chris. I'll correct the errors and rephrase some things I
didn't say correctly.

On the Compromise strategy, I think some compromises are more
intuitive than others. I think it's intuitive to abandon a more weakly
supported candidate, e.g. Nader, in favor of a major candidate, as is
common in FPTP. But it strikes me as more counter-intuitive, at least
for the average voter, to abandon a candidate with strong core support
in favor of a more weakly supported candidate, as could happen under
IRV. Then there's the issue as to whether the result of the
strategizing is a better or worse result overall . . . but that's a
tricky topic for another time.