[EM] Gerrymandering and competitive districts

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Nov 18 09:28:39 PST 2008

At 09:51 AM 11/18/2008, Raph Frank wrote:
>However, I wonder if all districts were arranged so that 80% of the
>voters in each district supported one or other party, would that party
>run more than 1 candidate, or would you still have a situation where
>the party only runs 1 candidate?

You can do it perfectly with Asset Voting, and without even
necessarily thinking about political parties.

It happens by discarding fixed districts entirely. Rather, virtual
districts can be created by the electors; a "district" would consist
of voting precincts from which votes appeared that created the seat.
In the case of a popular party, this district might be relatively
small. The districts would overlap.

Thus you might have, with districts that include the precinct you
voted in, a Republican member of the assembly, a Democrat, a
Libertarian, a Green, etc. The Republican and the Democrat, if these
are two major parties, might have small districts. The Green or
Libertarian might have a district that includes the whole state.

However, what you would have, for sure (with proper details) is a
member of the assembly that you voted for, directly or indirectly.
You will know who this is.

100% satisfaction, or the best possible compromise, with who represents you.

I.e., for the first time, true representation of every voter in the
assembly, but still a peer assembly, with equal voting power for each member.

(Or something similar.)