[EM] In defense of the Electoral College (was Re: Making a Bad Thing Worse)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Tue Nov 11 16:50:22 PST 2008

Dave Ketchum wrote:

>>> My point was that this is a problem affecting ANY election method,
>>> thus not needing special attention for Condorcet.
>>
> Again, the method does not matter.  If the name Bush turns up from two
> different sources it is essential to determine whether it is:
>      One candidate, for whom the votes must be summed or
>      Two candidates, competing separately, that must somehow be
> identified  as such.

In that case, use whatever identity connection method is used with
Plurality. It would have to be formalized (for the reasons I mentioned),
and to break ties one could use (as I have suggested) the state of
origin. It's going to be very unlikely that you'll have two George W.
Bushes in Texas, for instance. As you said, the method doesn't matter.

> Assuming that this represents 100 votes for A then 100 A>C is
> represented.  If B was also in the matrix there would be 100 A>B.  This
> last 100 fails to show up below:

Oops. Yes, that's true. Still, you get the point: the method (when
properly implemented) takes two sorted matrices and produces a sorted
matrix, possibly larger in size, but still a valid input for later merges.