[EM] (no subject)

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Nov 9 10:02:03 PST 2008

James seems to be stretching his interpretation a bit far.

Agreed that, while the voter can choose to rank all candidates, the voter
is permitted to omit those least desired.

In Condorcet every ballot is counted.  For each the counter considers EVERY
pair of candidates, such as A and B.  If the voter has indicated preferring
A>B, that is recorded toward A winning; likewise for B>A.

As to IRV, while using the same ballot, it only looks at enough to satisfy
it purpose - which DOES NOT INCLUDE knowing whether the voters like A
better than B.

DWK

On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 16:20:10 -0000 James Gilmour wrote:
> Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2008 2:17 AM
>
>>Your statement oversimplifies and ignores details/differences
>>between IRV and Condorcet.  IRV proponents may pretend not to
>>know that Condorcet methods do not exhibit most of the flaws
>>of IRV counting methods. For example, Condorcet, to my
>>knowledge treats all voters ballots equally, considers all
>>choices on all ballots,
>

> If I have understood the various submissions correctly, the principal objection to IRV on THIS ground, is that the ballot papers of
> voters who express different numbers of preferences are thereby treated differently, and in such a way and to such an extent that
> these differences should render the IRV voting system "unconstitutional".
>
> It is correct that Condorcet counting considers all the preferences marked on the ballot papers, in a sequence of pair-wise
> contests.  However, Condorcet counting has no option but to treat differently the ballot papers of voters who have expressed
> different numbers of preferences, because such voters will be excluded from some of the pair-wise counts.
>
> If this difference in the treatment of ballot papers with different numbers of preferences would be a "fatal" flaw in IRV, would it
> not also be a "fatal" flaw in Condorcet counting, and indeed in any other voting system where voters may express different numbers
> of preferences?
>
> James Gilmour
                  If you want peace, work for justice.